Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Friday, September 2, 2011

Slow-Cooker Angel Chicken

Along with straightening up my act in the way of taking care of things around my house, I also really want/need to start cooking more and experimenting with new recipes. I want to try to cut back on how often I just throw a frozen dinner in the oven. Yes, they might be convenient, but they're not always the healthiest options, and they get "old" and repetitive after a while. There are a MILLION good recipes out there that I know I would love... I just need to start trying them out. Some of my favorite blogs that I follow post recipes from time to time, and I would really like to start doing that as well. If I make something and like it, I want to share the recipe here on my blog so my readers can try it out if they'd like.
A couple days ago, Kellie, author of one of my favorite blogs, "Another Day Stronger", posted a recipe for a dish called "Slow-Cooker Angel Chicken", and it sounded really yummy to me. I decided to make it (with one or two variations to the ingredients) for dinner tonight, and I invited my parents and sister over to try it out with me. My sister didn't like it, but then again, she's still in a pretty picky eating stage. My parents and I, however, really liked it. Jordan had to work, as usual, so he hasn't tried it yet, but hopefully he'll enjoy it as well. Anyway, it's a recipe I will definitely be adding to my collection to make again in the future. It was super quick and easy to throw together - I think it took me maybe 15 minutes to get it all whipped up and in my crock pot. Can't beat that! Here's the recipe:


Slow-Cooker Angel Chicken

Ingredients:
- 4 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 10 3/4oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 0.7oz. package Italian dry salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4oz. cream cheese

Directions:
- Melt stick of butter in a saucepan.
- Stir package of Italian dry salad dressing mix into melted butter in saucepan.
- Add cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and cream cheese to melted butter and Italian dressing in saucepan; stir well until it combines and melts.
- Place raw chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot.
- Pour sauce into crock pot, completely covering chicken breasts.
- Cook in crock pot on low setting for approximately 5 hours.


Sounds yummy, huh? It is! The recipe I found on Kellie's blog called for mushrooms and condensed golden mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken soup, but I am NOT a fan of mushrooms, so I altered it a bit. (And apparently, Kellie got the recipe from someone else, who got it from someone else, and the ORIGINAL recipe calls for dry white wine instead of the chicken broth.) It also said to serve with rice or pasta, but I decided to serve it with mashed potatoes and rolls instead, and I think those were good compliments to it. Anyway, like I said, it turned out really yummy, and I look forward to making it again sometime. Y'all let me know if you decide to try it out, and if so, what you think!

No comments: