Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rylee's 15-Month Doctor Visit

This morning, I took Rylee to the pediatrician for her 15-month check-up. I still can't believe she's already 15 months old. It feels like just yesterday Jordan and I were taking her for her very first check-up when she was just 4 days old to make sure her slight case of jaundice was clearing up.
Anyway, they were a bit late calling us back, so she got plenty of time to play with the toys in the waiting area. She also enjoyed keeping me on my toes by spontaneously taking off running towards the examination rooms a few times. Don't know why she was so anxious to get back there. If only she had known what was coming...
A nurse finally called her name and led us to a room. We laid her down on the examination table so the nurse could get her measurements. As soon as we laid her down, Rylee started to get very anxious and cry. Obviously I have no way to be sure of this, but I really think when we laid her down, it "jogged" something in Rylee's memory, and she remembered being there 3 months ago when she had to get shots (because they always lay them down on the table to give them their shots when they're little). And I think she remembered that getting shots is NOT fun. Anyway, I did my best to keep her calm and still so the nurse could get her measurements. She has grown an inch since her 12-month check-up - she is now 31 and 3/4 inches long. When the nurse weighed her, however, I was a bit surprised to see that she has actually lost 3 ounces since her last visit. Today, she weighed 21 pounds, 12 ounces. Dr. Trumbull said it was perfectly okay and normal, because she has started walking since her last visit, and is simply burning off some of her "baby fat". He said she is just long and lean, but perfectly healthy. He, as always, was very pleased with how she looked and is doing (even though she was crying the entire time he was in there with us). He said I'm doing a great job as a mommy, which of course makes me feel very good. I'm certainly doing my best.
Anyway, we finished chatting with the doctor, and then he said what I was dreading... "Rylee's gotta get two shots today." Ugh. I couldn't remember if she was due for more shots today, but obviously, I was hoping she wasn't. Anyway, Dr. Trumbull left, and Rylee and I stayed in the room to wait for the nurse to come in and give her the shots. Rylee was still crying, and as soon as the nurse came in and we laid her down on the table to get ready for her shots, she started screaming. I had to hold her arms down so the nurse could give her a shot in each thigh. She just screamed and screamed. It breaks my heart to have to stand there and hold her down while that pain is being inflicted on her. Of course I know the shots are to help keep her from getting sick, but it doesn't make it any easier to see my baby in pain, looking up at me screaming, wondering why I'm allowing that to happen to her. Like I said... breaks my heart.
As soon as the nurse was finished, I picked Rylee up and did my best to calm her down. I always hate it when Jordan isn't able to be at those appointments with us. Somehow, Daddy just makes it all better... and I like having his support there for me also (I always end up crying right along with Rylee). Anyway, I got her dressed, and by the time we left the room to check out, she had calmed down, thankfully. Somehow, we forgot to schedule her next appointment for her 18-month check-up... and I didn't realize it until I got home and Jordan asked me when her next appointment is. The receptionist always automatically asks me what date would work best for her next appointment, but today she didn't do that... and I didn't think twice about it. I guess I was just ready to get out of there. Hopefully I'll remember to call the office in the morning so we can get that taken care of.
Anyway, although it was a rough visit for Rylee, I'm so thankful that she is healthy and right on track with where she should be. I am a blessed mommy!

No comments: