Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

An Unexpected Special Delivery

This afternoon, around 3:30, Rylee and I were playing in the living room, and suddenly, I heard a knock on our front door. I wasn't expecting any company, so I was curious to see who it was. When I opened the door, a sweet woman from Jenilyn's Creations, a local florist, was standing in front of me with a smile on her face, holding this:
A beautiful, fresh bouquet of flowers. For me. I was quite surprised, to say the least. I have never had flowers personally delivered to me before, and it's not my birthday or any other special occasion, so it was totally unexpected. I thanked the woman, and after closing the door, I opened the card that was attached to the bouquet. It read as follows:

I know I'm not home a lot; I wish I could spend every minute with my girls. I love you so much, and I'll see you this evening.
Love with all I have,
Your husband

My sweet, thoughtful hubby sent me flowers for no reason other than the simple fact that he loves me. How blessed am I to have a husband like that? To say that I was touched is an understatement. I couldn't help but cry. I feel so undeserving of all he does for me every day. Lately, I feel like I've been extremely selfish when it comes to my husband. He works a lot between his two jobs (at least 55 hours a week), so we don't get to spend much time together, especially during the week (he has weekends off now, praise the Lord). So, when he's not working, I want him to spend every second of his time with me, but I often fail to take into account the fact that he still has things that he wants and needs to do. Most importantly, he needs to rest. He is up from 3:30 in the morning until at least 10 o'clock at night Monday through Friday, and when he gets home from work, all he wants (and needs) to do is go to bed. I certainly can't blame him for that, and I know he needs to rest, but sometimes I still have a hard time with it, because I just want to have my time with him. I often get upset with him if he falls asleep when I want to spend time with him, making him feel guilty for being tired. That is not at all fair to him, and I feel absolutely horrible for making him feel that way. "Guilty" is the LAST thing he should feel after working hard all day long to take care of me. I often find myself focusing on my own wants and needs before his, and that is not at all Godly. My husband is honestly one of the most selfless people I know. He is ALWAYS thinking about other people before himself. I know without a shadow of a doubt that there is nothing in this world that he wouldn't do to take care of me and our family, and I often take that for granted. I truly love Jordan with ALL of my heart, but I do not always show him that love the way I am called to. I want/need to be a more selfless, loving, honoring, submissive wife to him - the wife I promised him I would strive to be when I married him two years ago. My husband is one of the most precious gifts God has blessed me with, and I want to treat him in such a way that he is reminded of that every single day. I want him to know how much he means to me, and how much I appreciate every single thing he does for me and our family. I truly feel that I have the best husband in the entire world, and I am eternally grateful that God called me to be his wife, even as undeserving of that blessing as I am.


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1st Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments: