Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rylee's First "Sick" Doctor Visit

Well... we made it 15 and a half months without ever having to take Rylee to the doctor for anything other than the routine "well" check-ups. This morning, that "run" unfortunately came to an end.
Yesterday afternoon, when I woke Rylee up from her nap, I noticed her forehead felt really warm. She wasn't acting irritable or anything, but I decided to check her temperature, and sure enough, she had a low fever of 101.5. Because she didn't have any other symptoms and wasn't acting like she was in any discomfort, I didn't give her any medicine. When I checked her temperature again a few hours later before I put her to bed, the fever was gone.
When I woke her up this morning, her chest, stomach, back, face, and neck were covered in small red dots. I checked her temperature, which was normal, and she was still acting like her "normal" self, but I decided to go ahead and call her doctor to see if they thought I should bring her in. Since it's hard to diagnose rashes/break-outs over the phone, they told me to go ahead and bring her in.
When we got there, a nurse called us back and had me put Rylee on the scale first so she could record her weight. She weighed 22lbs, 6oz. fully clothed and with shoes on (normally, when they weigh her at her "well" check-ups, they have us strip her down to her diaper). Then the nurse took us to a room and asked me a few questions about Rylee's symptoms. After a while, her doctor finally came in, and after asking me a few more questions and looking her over, he said she just had a common viral infection. He called it some fancy term that I had never heard before. I Googled her symptoms when we got back home to try to figure out what he told us it was, but I had no luck. Anyway, he said everything should be cleared up by Friday.
So, thankfully, it's nothing serious, and it'll go away on its own with no antibiotics after a couple days.
I am so thankful for the health God has blessed Rylee with so far. I mean, the fact that today was the first time in her almost-16-months of life that we've had to take her to the doctor because she is "sick" is amazing. I mean, she has had a couple of mild colds with a stuffy/runny nose here and there, and she had roseola when she was 9 months old (I mentioned it in one of my previous posts), but in every case so far, even when I've had to call the doctor just to check and see if I needed to take her in, it's been situations where I could just keep a close eye on her here at home unless she started getting worse/getting other symptoms. Today, as it turns out, we could've very well gone without taking her in, as there's nothing we can do to "make her better" (it's a viral infection, so it just has to run its course), but I wanted to be on the safe side and let the doctor reassure me there was nothing more to it, even though she was acting fine.
So, although I'm sorta bummed we did finally have to take her to the doctor for a "sick" visit, I knew it was bound to happen at some point (of course).
Here are a few pictures of Rylee while we were waiting for the doctor to come in:
some of the spots on the back of Rylee's neck
trying to hand me her sippy cup because she was "all done" (If you look closely, you can see some of the red spots on her chest/neck.)

No comments: