Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken and Cream Cheese Mac & Cheese

A few weeks ago, I decided to be REALLY ambitious and try TWO new recipes for one meal. Once again, I credit Pinterest for introducing me to these two recipes. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Pinterest? Yes? I thought so.) Anyway, the first recipe is for Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken, and the second recipe is for Cream Cheese Macaroni and Cheese. The chicken was so quick and easy to make, and it was absolutely DELICIOUS! I will definitely be making it again. The macaroni and cheese was good overall, but the recipe calls for nutmeg, and I wish I had left it out, or at least cut the amount it called for in half. When I was preparing to make it, I didn't know/couldn't remember if I've ever had anything with nutmeg in it and if I liked it, so I decided to just go ahead and put it in, because I read that it really compliments creamy dishes. Well, in my opinion, the nutmeg gave the macaroni and cheese an earthy/peppery taste, and if you know me, you know I DON'T like pepper (the original recipe actually calls for pepper, too, but I omitted it). So anyway, if/when I make this particular macaroni and cheese recipe again, I will definitely be omitting the nutmeg. Otherwise, though, it was another successful day of recipe-trying. Here are the recipes:


Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken

Ingredients:
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 package Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix
1/2tsp. garlic powder
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Preparation/Baking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix cheese, dressing mix, and garlic powder together in a bowl.
Moisten chicken breasts with water, coat with the cheese mixture, and then place in a shallow, greased baking dish.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.


Cream Cheese Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:
3/4lb. elbow macaroni
olive oil, for drizzling
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1/2tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2tbls. salt
1 1/2 cups (4oz.) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups (4oz.) shredded Colby Jack cheese
1 1/2 cups (4oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4oz. cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Preparation/Baking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni for 3 minutes (don't worry... it'll still be very chewy). Drain macaroni, and return to the pot. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, and toss well.
Grease a large baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the half-and-half, milk, eggs, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in the cheeses and the macaroni. Spread the mac and cheese in the prepared baking dish, and scatter the cream cheese cubes on top.
Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and spread the melted cream cheese cubes evenly over the surface of the macaroni. Place dish back in oven, and bake for 40 more minutes, until bubbling.
Remove the baking dish from the oven, and preheat the broiler. Broil the mac and cheese about 3 inches from the heat source until richly browned, about 2 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes before serving.

No comments: