Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Lazy Day and an Update from Haiti

Today was a pretty laid back day. I finally got out of bed about 10 o'clock this morning (Rylee and I both went back to sleep after I fed her around 6:30). Around 1:30 this afternoon, I loaded her up in the car and headed to Walmart to get some groceries and stuff. I bought three packs of Pampers diapers (size 2... she is growing SO fast!) and four packs of Pampers wipes (all originally totaling $35.59 before tax) for $22.85 before tax. Thank you, coupons. Shortly after we got to Walmart, Jordan got off work from Home Depot, so he met us there and finished the shopping with us. No big deal, but it was just kinda nice. He works two jobs, so I enjoy any time I get to spend with him. Anyway, we finished up at Walmart. Came home. Unloaded and put away the groceries. Watched The Back-Up Plan, compliments of Netflix. Ate some yummy Stouffer's chicken pot pie for dinner (one of my favorite foods... I eat it at least once a week). Watched some TV. Pigged out on some Mayfield Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream (didn't even bother scooping it into a bowl; ate it right out of the carton).  Like I said... a pretty laid back day, which is totally fine with me. About an hour ago, my dad IMed me on Facebook. He's actually in Haiti right now, serving as a chaplain on a disaster relief team. So it felt really good to hear from him. He's been gone since this past Saturday (August 21), and he won't be home until sometime this Saturday, as long as nothing gets delayed. I'm definitely anxious for him to get home safely. It's kinda hard not to worry about him being in Haiti, with everything that has happened there recently. But that's exactly WHY he's over there, and I know God is with him and the team he's serving with. Dad said he has gotten to witness to 572 people so far with the help of an interpreter. That is so awesome to me. I'm just so proud of my dad. It has been so exciting and inspiring to see how God has been working in and through his life recently. Last month, he was called to be Pastor of Tunnell Chapel Baptist Church. And now he is "... go[ing] into all the world and preach[ing] the good news to all creation" (Mark 16:15). It just really makes me evaluate my relationship with Christ, and realize that I'm nowhere near where I want to be in it. How willing would I be to go to a third-world country that has been devastated by an earthquake, knowing how harsh the conditions are there? But my dad? He took a week of vacation from work to go to Haiti. A week of vacation that most anyone else would use to go to the beach or the mountains or do whatever it is they like to do. My dad just wants to do what he knows God has called him to do. What God has called ALL of us to do. There are people all over the world who are desperate to know the truth of the gospel. And it's up to us, as Christians, to reach out to our brothers and sisters and share the gift of Jesus's love with them. I want to be more like my dad. More like Christ.

No comments: