Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Am a Preacher's Kid

Tonight, my dad was officially ordained as a pastor. That's right... I am a "preacher's kid". The service was held at Coosada Baptist Church, and several members of Dad's congregation at Tunnell Chapel Baptist Church came out to participate as well. It was such a blessing to see how many people love and support my dad in this new calling in his life. The main part of the service was actually a quiet time of songs during which people were able to lay hands on my parents and pray for them. A long line of people formed, wrapping around a whole row of pews in the sanctuary. Jordan and I decided to wait until the line dwindled down a little since we had Rylee with us and she was sleeping. So I sat there in our pew and watched as, one by one, different families (many of whom I don't personally know) went up to my family and prayed with them. And it was just so overwhelming. It brought me to tears. It is such a humbling feeling to realize that God has called my dad - my family - to serve him in this way. And to know that we are being lifted in prayer by our brothers and sisters in Christ means more than we can adequately express. I can't wait to see how God continues to work in and through my dad as he settles into his role as Pastor. I've already watched him grow and learn so much, and it's just really exciting to me. Anyway, I guess that's about it for tonight. I wanted to keep it short and sweet since it's already late, and I really need to be getting to bed. I wanted to close with a few verses out of Romans, though. I read them in my quiet time tonight, and I think they fit this blog rather nicely.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified." Romans 8:28-30

2 comments:

Nancy Hood said...

Oh Emily, what a sweet post. Your dad will treasure this.

Unknown said...

Beautifully said, and the scripture you referenced is so fitting. It was a very moving experience for me to be a part of. I am so very excited about this new journey that God is taking us through. For me, I am so thankful for and humbled by His grace. Without it, I could not wear these new shoes and walk this path.

I love you,

Mom