Joshua 24:15

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Got a Haircut

Last week, I got a haircut. Might not be a big deal to you, but it was to me. I have been wearing my hair long for years. Back in middle school (I think), I decided to grow my bangs out to be the same length as my hair, and I've had it that way ever since. Of course I've gotten trims periodically over the years, and I've usually had layers cut into it as well, but overall, it's been the same style for years. When I was pregnant with Rylee, I decided to get my hair cut a medium length and get long, side-swept bangs. I pretty much hated it. I have never been good about knowing how to style my hair, and the long bangs drove me crazy. I told myself I would never do that again. Well, it's been a couple of years, my bangs had grown out with the rest of my hair, and I was ready for a change again. As a mom of two little ones, I wanted something that wouldn't be so "in the way" all the time. My hair was so long that, any time I would lean over to pick up the baby, I couldn't even see him because my hair was all in my face. (Before you say it, I know what you're thinking... "Why not just pull it back in a ponytail?" Well... I don't always think of that. And even when I do, the baby just grabs a fist-full of hair and pulls it right out. So it's pointless.) So anyway, I decided I wanted to get my hair cut. And I mean really cut. I started looking online for pictures of medium-length hairstyles with bangs. Not those annoying, long, side-swept bangs again. No sir. I mean legit, straight-across-the-forehead bangs. I ended up finding this picture and fell in love (NOT with the girl... with her hair):
That's actress Emily Deschanel, big sister to actress Zooey Deschanel. I didn't know Zooey had a big sister, but anyway, I found this picture of her, and her hairstyle was exactly what I had in mind for myself. And how perfect is it that her name is Emily, too? It was like a sign or something, right? (Totally kidding.) So anyway, I took this picture with me to show my hairstylist, and I did it... I got my hair cut. Five inches - gone.
It's VERY different from what I've been used to all these years (especially the bangs), but I think I like it so far. I still don't have the first idea of how to style it to actually make it look like Emily Deschanel's (I need a hair straightener to do that... too bad I don't own one or even know how to use one...), but it feels a lot better, and it's nice to have a change. I've gotten several compliments on it, and people have told me I look like a more "mature" mom now, so I guess it's gone over well so far. So anyway, without further ado, here's what I look like now:



No comments: